Wednesday, April 8, 2009

PACT Video Viewing

The articles for this week's reading in tech class focused on how teachers can improve their teaching by watching video footage of themselves. Both authors seemed to take a social justice approach to classroom instruction, and echoed the ideas we encounter in many of our other classes: that to reach learners of diverse backgrounds, we must be rigorous and inquisitive with our own teaching practices, and consider ways to enrich our curriculum and classroom management tools.
I recently filmed two days of my teaching for my PACT learning segment. I watched the videos last week, and found the footage very helpful. It was encouraging to note that I did not cringe during the whole segment, although there were certainly a few cringe-worthy moments. I came away with a few solid ideas about areas for further development in my teaching:
1) Voice: My voice sounded high to me, which may be partly due to the sound quality of the camera. However, I do want to work on projecting more when I speak to the class. I think this is easier the more relaxed that I am -- I am banking on the fact that this is a function of teaching over time.
2) Annunciation: Related to voice/tone, I noticed that I often ate my words at the end of a sentence when I was giving instructions. I chalk this one up to tentativeness as well, but it has been helpful to keep this in mind over the last few days. I have made a point of fully pronouncing all my words and speaking as clearly as possible.
3) Gaze: Along with eating my words, I noticed that I would glance down if I felt unsure about what I was saying. This also lent a tentative quality to my stance, which is not a good quality when you are standing in front of urban youth.
4) Lastly, I of course noticed which students I wasn't noticing during the lesson. I imagine that this will be an area to work on for all my time as a teacher, and in this sense, I think that videotaping is very helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment